Site Meter

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

L.A. burning

Billmon notes that Bush has finally managed to be a uniter not a divider, uniting Shi'ites and Sunnis against him.
I agree that this is a major accomplishment.

I personally was glad that after the appalling sectarian attacks on Shi'ites by , presumably, followers of al Zarqawi,(remember that ancient history they were weeks ago) Shi'ites an Sunnis uniting in blaming America first for not protecting them from a Jordanian and his ruthless fanatical followers. I thought (I don't have this on tape) "fine, OK if they hate us, they don't have to live with us for long, we should be out of there in a few years, so long as they don't hate each other." They will have to learn to live with each other, we can stay out of Iraq (I certainly don't want to go there).

Now I remember the Los Angeles riots. That was grim too. I remember the one spark of hope I felt. It was when I read that. when the riots started Daryl Gates decided to go off to a fund raiser, fiddling while L.A. burned. I thought maybe maybe Black, White, Yellow and Beige los angelenos maybe maybe might decide that however much they hate each other, they hate Gates more.

Just a desparate grasping at straws, but there haven't been any riots there recently.

My desperate attempt to find something good in the past week leads me to note that Mogtada al Sadr appealed to the American people to side with him against the Bush administration. Maybe, maybe if we vote for Kerry he will decide that we are his friends. Maybe he will try to work with Kerry's ambassador to Iraq, negotiating one on one, face to face.

Then we can lock his butt in the basement of the embassy in Baghdad and let him out when hell freezes over.

Baby you gotta dream.

No comments: