Site Meter

Saturday, December 01, 2007

Paul Krugman and Brad DeLong are on the same wavelength

Paul Krugman 2007 explains why the US is falling behind in communications

I have a T-Mobile cell phone, which uses GSM technology; it works all over the world — and in parts of New Jersey. One of the parts of New Jersey where it doesn’t work happens to be my own home.

As a result, I’ve been acutely aware of the price America paid for not doing what Europe did, and settling on a single mobile standard.

[snip]

Europe is also pulling ahead on broadband, again because of judicious regulation. There’s a lesson in here somewhere.




Brad DeLong 2000 explains why the US surged ahead in communications

in a post prophetically entitled "The Coming End of American Triumphalism"
which really talked about the sources of US economic success including, you guessed it, standards for telephony

If there is a lesson from the success of America's telecommunications industries over the past generation, it is that government regulation by the Federal Communications Commission that required firms to build products that other firms' products could connect with was extraordinarily successful.


Looks like there was a lesson, but the US forgot it and Europe learned it.

To me the news I can use is that my gsm cell phone might work in parts of New Jersey. I don't plan to find them.

No comments: