Site Meter

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Europe in more trouble than I thought

Just when I thought it was safe to get my mind back to this continent, I received an e-mail from some organization which employs someone who seems to think that I am an economist capable of making predictions better than those of the magic 8 ball.

"Primary Research Group (www.PrimaryResearch.com) is conducting a survey of economists for their views on the prospects for recovery of European economies. "

OK so I've never heard of "Primary Research Group" and the future of Europe probably doesn't depend on their good judgment, but, frankly, I don't want to be part of any economy which contains people who are interested in my predictions about that economy.

I guess desperate times call for desperate measures, but I'm going to feel a whole lot better when my e-mail inbox gets back to its usual focuses on Nigerian scams and uhm male enhancement.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2009/06/we-need-to-be-who-we-can-be--and-that-means-we-need-to-not-listen-to-the-likes-of-thomas-friedman-and-richard-cohen.html

June 10, 2009

The fact that the New York Times and the Washington Post continue to believe that the likes of Thomas Friedman and Richard Cohen are people who need prominent platforms in our national discussions is perhaps the biggest reason why it would be a good thing to greatly diminish the size of the megaphones that are the New York Times and the Washington Post.

-- Brad DeLong

[The ceaseless attempt by a prominent academic economist, a supposed liberal, to destroy the finest papers in the country. Thoroughly ominous and chilling, lacking the least sense of what journalism in a democracy will be about.]

Anonymous said...

The destructiveness or hopeful destructiveness of the Berkeley antagonist of the finest of American journalism, has the feel of Italy or Spain in times I would have dreamed well-forgotten till I find the times come again in the increasingly intimidating or even violent writings.

I am reminded of the Conformist in Italisn atmosphere. Here is an academic who would drive Picasso from Spain.