Site Meter

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Scott Horton suspects that the appeal from the new to the old conservative will be rejected.

I therefore could never reconcile myself to the bill ..., which is expressly provided to remove all inconveniences from the establishment of a mode of trial which has ever appeared to me most unjust and most unconstitutional. Far from removing the difficulties which impede the execution of so mischievous a project, I would heap new difficulties upon it, if it were in my power. All the ancient, honest, juridical principles and institutions of England are so many clogs to check and retard the headlong course of violence and oppression. They were invented for this one good purpose, that what was not just should not be convenient. Convinced of this, I would leave things as I found them. The old, cool-headed, general law is as good as any deviation dictated by present heat.


h.t. Northrup (not to be confused with either Oliver or Lord North).

Once upon a time, one of his fellow founders of the Ancient and Hermetic Order of the Shrill, suggested that someone might make a blog (now defunct) consisting entirely of George Orwell's commentary on current events, the disadvantage of having been dead for over half a century (even then) easily overcome by genius.

Edmund Burke too. I deleted 3 words "I send you" which are not relevant to the present case. Aside from that, I wouldn't add or remove a comma. Knowledge of 230 years of events is no match for genius.

No comments: