Site Meter

Monday, February 18, 2008

Ad Homonym attack II

Matthew Yglesias has a better than average homonym today. To say that he absolutely totally doesn't know something he uses "know" without using not or n't or anything.

"I have know idea"

I honestly suspect that "know" was floating around in his mind as in "I don't know" and slipped out through his fingers.

I too type homonyms. I resisted learning the absurd arbitrary spelling of English words, but spell checkers (and especially those little red lines that appear under misspelled words) drummed correct spelling into me. Now my fingers know English spelling even though my conscious brain resists (didn't know conscious though -- ha!). But they don't know what I am writing, so I type homonyms.

Used to happen when I typed something full of typos and spellos then ran it through a spell checker. Now the spell checker is mostly in my brain, but the result is the same.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever used heteronyms*? Very good way to spice up your writing.


*Homonyms are words that sound alike and have different meanings. Synonyms are words that sound different and have the same meaning. Heteronyms are words that sound different and have different meanings.