Site Meter

Thursday, October 11, 2007

I am sooooo Confused

Obama's campaign accuses Clinton of vaguenss on torture and mixes metaphors (seems to me that talk of putting forth winks is more appropriate for an advocate of torture and no, George, I don't want to try to call a image into my mind).

Obama spokesperson Bill Burton emailed Election Central the following:

Barack Obama thinks that America's policy on torture needs to be a lot more explicit than the winks and nods she has seemed to put forth on this important issue
.

It seems to me that if I read someone else I respect seemingly using the word "seems" to make claims without bothering with the evidence I'm going to do something unseemly.

I denounce the Clinton campaign for missquoting Clinton in a way which obscures the clarity of her opposition to cruel inhuman and degrading treatment of prisoners

Hillary spokesperson Phil Singer swiftly hit back, emailing over the following:

It’s unfortunate that Barack Obama is abandoning the politics of hope as his campaign stagnates and is launching false attacks on other Democrats instead. Senator Clinton explicitly stated that we "have to draw a bright line" against torture and "abide by the Geneva conventions." Senator Obama’s attacks won't bring change to America, but Senator Clinton’s strength and experience will.


He you Hillary hating Swinger, she also said we should "abide by the laws we have passed" which clarify the Geneva conventions and left less wiggle room for Bush (who doesn't wiggle he just lies).

Meanwhile

Late Late Update: Andrew Sullivan is now acknowledging that his criticism of Hillary yesterday over the torture comments is "unfair" in light of the transcript we posted. He says he now thinks that "she was unfairly misquoted" by the paper.


Owwwww my head hurts. I still think that Sullivan has Clinton derangement (and deceit) syndrome and I still think very very highly of Matthew Yglesias and Mark Kleiman and I still plan to vote for Obama in the MA primary, but I've had quite enough cognitive dissonance this week, thank you very much.

update: Just what I need, Ezra Klein worrying that he may become a hack, such integrity to criticize himself for things he hasn't even done yet (sad to say I am not being ironic I really feel better having read his post).

Good luck Ezra, or as Bob Dylan put it

May you always be courageous,
Stand upright and be strong,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young.

May your hands always be busy,
May your feet always be swift,
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift.


and we remember how Bob has turned out ...
help Ezra I need some more idealism, I'm running on empty.

No comments: