Site Meter

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri Claims he was tortured by the CIA.

I can't say how much I wish I didn't believe him. Given revelations that torture was official policy and given the gravity of the crimes of which he was accused, I don't doubt that he was tortured with temperature extremes and heat deprivation and would be very surprised if he has not been water boarded.

To remain true to our traditions and principles, we must release him and punish his torurers even if they were just following orders and punish the people who gave those orders (and that means you Mr President). I'm sure no policy maker will actually propose releasing him. I personally would probably make an exception and get back to respecting the rule of law tomorrow. I do think that the perpetrators should be punished.

I also have to note that I don't find all of Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri's allegations convincing.

Nashiri said, according to the transcript, that he "invented" some information just to "make people happy" during his interrogations. One of those statements was that Osama bin Laden, whom he had met numerous times, had procured a nuclear weapon.

"They were extremely happy because of this news," he said, according to the transcript.
Yeah right. I would be delighted if someone in a position to know told me that Bin Laden has an atomic bomb. I'm crushed to hear the claim was invented.

No comments: