Site Meter

Monday, May 23, 2016

TIM provides a challenge for Google Translate

i just got an e-mail from TIM the cellphone subsidiary of the entirely privatized telecom Italia which is a for profit private sector publicly traded limited liability corporation and it's entirely coincidental that it often gets a new CEO when Italy gets a new Prime Minister. I added credit to my phone account on the web. I read the confirmation that the operation was a success, but when I tried to call, I heard a sweet Italian voice telling me my credit was exhausted. TIM sent an e-mail of confirmation which concluded
N.B. La ricarica sara' immediatamente resa disponibile come credito telefonico e comunque non oltre le 48 ore dal momento della richiesta.
Will Google attempt to translate that ? It gives
N.B. The charge will be 'made available immediately as phone credit and no later than 48 hours from the time of request.
Amazingly, that is exactly correct. I would have thought that a sophisticated but merely not human translator would be stumped by "immediately ... and no later than 48 hours from the time or request" Google is as amazing as TIM (slogan "be evil").

No comments: