Site Meter

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The WAPO had me going there

I have been trying to resist the temptation to dump on the Washington Post. I changed my firefox homepage to www.repubblica.it. I tell myself not to do it. And they know.
They are deliberately fucking with my brain. There were three stories on Web page 1 clearly designed to convince me that they had left journamalism behind.

Then, they told me that the Republicans had totally caved and were no longer filibustering and that "Senate to Vote on Troop Withdrawal Measure". Wow !

Then I read the article, eagerly, like Charlie Brown running up to kick the football and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG

The article actually said the Senate would vote on whether to vote on the measure.
That is, the difference between a vote for cloture to allow a vote and a vote on the measure is a detail not worth mentioning in the headline.

And now doubleplus AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG

"Senate Rejects Troop Withdrawal Measure"
rejected by a vote of 47 against 52 for.

But wait, the first sentence in the story begins "After a marathon all-night debate, Senate Republicans today blocked a Democratic attempt to force troop withdrawals from Iraq, using the power of the filibuster..." maybe maybe ....

No way. They are not going to fool me again. After Camp David (vintage 2000) I decided that I would not ever, ever be tricked again into believing that peace between Israel and the Palistinians was possible. Now I swear I have lost all hope that the Washington Post will become again what it once was. Forever. You're not tricking me again.

No comments: