Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Rudy Flinches

Eric Kleefeld reports

According to The Charlotte Observer, Rudy has just become the only one of the key GOP candidates to fail to endorse a bill making its way through the South Carolina legislature that would discourage abortion by mandating that a woman seeking one first view an ultrasound of her fetus.
I'm not sure that South Carolina legislators know what they are talking about. In 2003 59% of abortions were known to have been performed earlier than 8 weeks gestational (I don't know how many of the other 41% were performed later and how many at an unknown period). The ultrasound would look like this

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Abortion opponents always talk about fetuses aborted in rare late term abortions.

By the way, the ferocity of the debate is very clearly revealed with a google images search
Contrast this image of an 8 week embryo from http://abortionclinicdays.blogs.com and this image by priestsforlife.org. I am not surprised that there is such controversy about what 8 weeks means (the priests are counting since missed period and the poster at abortionclinicdays is counting since conception).

Disclaimer: My mother is a member of NARAL. I try not to take it personally.

No comments: